Proper electrical outlet safety is very important for maintaining a safe home. Following these outlet do’s and don’ts will help reduce the likelihood of serious electrical issues from occurring.
It goes without saying that electricity and water are not a good combination. This means you should be especially careful when using electrical appliances in the bathroom or kitchen. If you do use an appliance near a sink, make sure the water is not running and the surrounding surface is dry.
Do: Inspect Cords and Sockets Before Use
Frayed cords are a serious fire hazard and can deliver an electrical shock. Make sure all cords are completely free of breaks or exposed wires. If an outlet emits a spark, smoke, or a burning smell, do not use it. Call an electrician to inspect it and make repairs.
Don’t: Use Extension Cords as Long Term Solutions
Extension cords send electrical currents at longer distances, requiring greater energy consumption. They also tend to get very hot when used for long periods of time. Using them to power a device for too long can cause the rubber surrounding the connector to melt around the plug. Extension cords are fire hazards when used inside the home and should be limited to outdoor use.
Do: Unplug Unused Electronics
Electronics that are plugged into the wall will draw power even when they’re not in use. So, before you go to work, make sure you check your sockets and unplug all unused electronics.
Don’t: Leave Outlets Uncovered
All wall outlets should have plastic covers to prevent debris from interfering with the sockets. Covering your outlets will also prevent pets and small children from accidentally shocking themselves. Even if an outlet isn’t working, you should still make sure it’s covered. Replacing a broken cover is very simple, so no excuses.
Do: Use Safety Plugs on Unused Outlets
It’s a good idea to use safety plugs when an outlet is not in use. This will protect children and pets and prevent them from trying to stick their fingers or paws in the outlet. Even if you don’t have children or pets, it’s still a good idea to use safety plugs. This will keep your sockets free from dust and prevent static electricity from spitting out.
Don’t: Overload Power Strips
It’s never a good idea to plug a second power strip into one already being use. Doing so can lead to electrical shortages, overheating, power outages, sparks, and fires.
Do: Call an Electrician When in Need of Rewiring
You should never do your own rewiring unless you are a certified electrician. If you aren’t, Dependable Electric is here to help. Just give us a call at 404-789-4811 or fill out our contact form.